Saturday, September 21, 2013

Observations of a "Foreigner”



Observations of a “foreigner”

             I made a “quick” to North Carolina this week. It started out as a short trip to visit a dental hygienist that I trust with my aging teeth and grew from there. That's a story for a bit later.
             Along the way, to and from, I made some interesting observations. Drivers in Florida are very dangerous and will take a risk in a heart beat. While they may be dangerous in their own state it is exponentially worse when they cross the state line or even begin to travel on an interstate highway.
             Take for example I-95. When it is three lanes wide in both directions the lanes are arranged with craziness in mind. The outside or far right lane is for those “idiots” that would dare to drive at the posted speed limit or even a bit below. The center lane is for 10 plus mph over the posted limit (with an apparent limit of 20 over). The inside or far left lane is the “take your life in you own hands” lane. I’m not sure there is an apparent limit over there in “dead man’s land”.
               I-4.  Do I even dare get into a discussion about this death trap?? In the construction area near the eastern end it only two lanes, presently. Drive like “hell” in the right lane and “insanity” in the left lane. Don’t even presume to drive less than 10 miles over or you will get blown (by horns), or shot (the bird) or both. Craziness prevails.
              The “local” highways and byways aren’t a whole lot better. Florida spends untold amounts of money on these roadways. It just seems that the powers that be forgot to fund traffic law enforcement. It’s truly an “anything goes” atmosphere out there. 
              In Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina it wouldn’t be difficult to make a reasonable assumption as to which tags were on the cars that came past me like they were running on jet fuel. I used to wonder why all the accidents in Orlando and surrounding areas. Well, now that I’ve lived in Florida for almost three years it’s not hard to figure out.
              Be careful out there! Ya hear?

No comments: